Tuesday 19 March 2013

Smoke of a Cigarette


This story is true story and with a happy ending. A happy true story with an advice in it to quit smoking as smoke rising from cigarettes is not only dangerous to the one who is smoking but also to other who are in surroundings. This story is true and with a happy ending and is not the usual one. 

This story is about an advice from mother to her son to abandon smoking. This story reveals about different ways accompanied by her son for smoking. He was too much addicted to cigarettes and her mother was too much worried and keeps on advising him to quit this bad habit. It’s a true story you must read it

It was a story about two friends that were very close to each other. One of them was Shameem Ahmed and the other friend name was Zia Hassan. They both lived together in a same town and completed their engineering degree from one institute. There was a difference of about 6 months between the marriages of both these friends. Their wife’s were also very close to each other because they were class fellow and from the same batch. They met one another just like a family relatives. Shameem Ahmad was about 5 years of age and her sister was 2 years old when their father died and their mother became widow at the age of 26. The family of her mother tried so much for her second marriage but she refused and took the responsibility of their education and look after. Shameem respected her mother so much and did not say anything that worries her but there was a big problem with Shameem that he was a chain smoker which his mother and wife did not like. They did every possible remedy to abandon smoking but it was useless and they could not do anything except patience.

Once Zia Hassan had to go Lahore for one year and her wife send him a letter that his friend had quitted smoking. Zia did not believe on it and thought that he must be pretending for some time and will start again. After few months Zia met his friend in Karachi and asked him ‘Friend did you really quit smoking?’ Shameem replied yes but he said in a very worse way. Zia said how? Shameem was telling the story of quitting smoking and is described below.

One day I went home from office. My wife and children were not at home. My mother was praying in a room so I sat in a terrace for smoking. After a while my mother came and said your wife invited us for dinner at her home then she sat on a chair and start staring at me with holding my hand in her hand and said I did not say any harsh word to you in my whole life but I am telling you last time that smoking is not good for your health. I also watched on TV that doctor said passive smoking was injurious for the children and if you want to smoke than you have to go outside and I will never discuss on this topic again. Zia my friend you know I love my mother so much. She told me to quit it many times but I always ignore. Now this time her advice directly hited on my heart and I said to her that I will obey your command and I promise you that I will try to stay away from smoking but not yet and you have to give me some relief. She was amazed for a while and after a deep thinking she said me ok, tell me your conditions. I said her, the cigarette that was in my hand I have to finish it so that later I will not depress that I did not finish it. The second was that I have two cigarettes in my pocket and I will finish them with some gaps. I will never buy any cigarette from anyone and from the shop but if someone offer me then I will take it. She stood up and said to me with a smile that I accept your conditions. After saying this she went to room for changeover and I abruptly take out my cigarette pack from my pocket and I saw two of them left behind. I thought there might be 20 cigarettes in it and I got shocked.

I took my mother to my wife house and after a while she asked me why you are not smoking? I said to her that, doctor told me strictly not to do smoking. She said to me that I think it was an hour ago that a doctor said this to you and we both laughed on it.

I did not sleep the whole night so I take out my one cigarette from my pack and went to bed for sleep. In the morning I went to office after having another cigarette after breakfast. I became busy in my office work and after sometime I felt agitated. I looked at the peon who always asks me for a cigarette. Then I hear a sound of tea trolley so an idea came into my mind to go to my friend table who always smoke. So I reached his table he was looking so much upset and saying that ‘what a GM thinks about himself?’I sat on a chair and a tea had been placed in front of us. He takes out his cigarette from his drawer and start smoking without inviting me. I went to another table who always smoke with me and I thought he will give me one. So I reached his table and he also did not ask me.


 I went home in a miserable condition and the last thing that came into my mind was that my uncle had to visit my home at that day and he always smoke with me without any hesitation. When I reached home he was not there and I asked my mother why uncle did not come today? She replied your uncle told me that he had to go somewhere that’s why he will not come today. I was shocked on hearing this. After a while I heard a sound of gate bell I wondered that my uncle had come but there was another person who was searching for someone home address. I became frustrated and suddenly I saw a person who throws his cigarette from the car and it was still burning. I moved forward and smoke it in a hurry. After smoking I enter to my house and sat in a terrace. Due to that smoking I got headache and my eyes were in pain suddenly I heard a voice of my mother. She said ‘Son you are an educated and a sophisticated person and what did you done. You met with every person in your office for the sake of a cigarette and if someone saw you picking up cigarette from street then you spoil every one respect and I did not grow you like that’.

After that my mother went to room and started crying and I did not saw her ever crying like that after death of my father in my whole life. So Zia I committed to myself that I will never smoke again in my life ever and if someone offers me then I will refuse it. One thing that worried me, how she knew my all things which I done in my office and in a street and I know my all habits will never hide from her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment